Pages

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Why I decided on Watergate

The reason I chose Chapter 13 Watergate was basically because it was one of the first chapters in this book that I was around for. Yes it’s true but I was a young child at the time. I do remember hearing Nixon’s resignation on the television. But really had no clue what was going on. I remember my parent’s faces clued to the TV and being told to be quiet. Today, I understand the significance of the speech and why it was the big news story that it was. I really find it fascinating that a front page story in a newspaper can uncover one of the biggest political corruption scandals to date.  I do wonder though what was going through a man like President Nixon’s head at the time of this scandal. Did he really think he was going to get away with this? Imagine if the burglars were never caught what other damage could he have created. I really enjoy researching and reading about the background of this story and how 2 journalists started with a break-in story can lead to the resignation of the leaders of a powerhouse nation like the United States of America.  

No comments:

Post a Comment